Five Beneficial Methods for the Study of Tai Chi Chuan
"1. Your study should be broad and diversified. Do not limit yourself. This principle (virtue) can be compared to your stance, which moves easily in many different directions.
2. Examine and question. Ask yourself how and why Tai Chi works. This principle can be compared to your sensitivity, which is receptive to that which others ignore.
3. Be deliberate and careful in your thinking. Use your mind to discover proper understanding. This principle can be compared to your understanding power.
4. Clearly examine. Separate concepts distinctly, then decide upon the proper course. This principle can be compared to the continuous motion of Tai Chi.
5. Practice sincerely. This principle can be compared to heaven and earth, the eternal."
- T'ai Chi Classics, translations and commentary by Waysun Liao, p. 125
Tai Chi Classics. By Waysun Liao. New translations of three essential texts of T'ai Chi Ch'uan with commentary and practical instruction by Waysun Liao. Illustrated by the author. Boston, Shambhala, 1990. 210 pages. ISBN: 087773531X. VSCL.