Monday, January 27, 2020

Watched His Excellent Basketball Work


Like millions of Los Angeles Laker NBA basketball fans, Karen and I were shocked and saddened yesterday to learn that Kobe Bryant, star player of the Lakers for 20 years, and his 13 year old daughter died in a helicopter crash near Calabasas, California.  Nine people on the way to a girl's basketball game were killed in the accident.  Our heartfelt condolences to all affected by this tragic accident.

Kobe, the Mamba, the Black Mamba, #8 and #24.  He played for the Lakers for 20 years.  He helped lead a Laker's team to the NBA Finals 7 times, and won 5.  He helped lead a Laker's team into the NBA Playoff series for 15 seasons.  What Lakers fan could ask for more?  His basketball skills on offense and defense were among the best I have ever been fortunate to have watched.

Kobe was an interesting, intelligent, multi-lingual, and creative man.  Reports portray him as a good father.  After his retirement in 2016, we have seen other sides of Kobe as a man and businessman.  His International connections, his Chinese popularity, his wealth and fame, his fluent Spanish language skills, his Academy Award, and his entrepenurian ventures all pointed toward success in the future.

Unfortunately, sadly, a helicopter mountain crash ended it all for him, his daughter, seven others, and for millions of us basketball fans.

Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020.   Among All Our Laker Memories    Thanks Kobe!  You helped make us proud as a City.







I have enjoyed watching and playing the game of basketball since I was a child of 8.  I was a tall and skinny boy, and 2nd team sub on my Cantwell high school basketball teams.  I enjoyed light-duty casual pick up basketball games with guys untill I was 40 years old.  It was always fun to play and to watch good players show their game.

I lived in Los Angeles for 52 years.  I started listening to the Los Angeles Lakers NBA Basketball Team on AM radio with Chic Hearn in 1962.  I also followed UCLA Bruin championship basketball back then.  I watched Laker away games for decades with Chick Hearn on KTLA television.  After 1998, I watched on national TV or on NBA League Pass televison on DISH or XFinity.  I have been to games at the old Forum in Inglewood.  My father-in-law was a Lakers fan.  My co-workers in Los Angeles were Laker's fans.  So, I have been an LA Lakers fan for 58 years.  Here is blog post of mine in 2009 when our team won another NBA Championship, and I was living in Red Bluff, California.

We are very hopeful that in 2020 the Laker's team (James, Davis, Green, Pope, Cuzma, Magee, Howard, et. all) will be the top seed in the upcoming playoffs.

[Naturally, I watched most of the Oakland Golden State Warrior games on NBA League Pass from 2014-2019.  They were the best in the Western Conference, went to 5 NBA Finals appearances in a row, and the Lakers did not make the playoffs.  I also now watch more Portland Trail Blazers on NBA League Pass since I now live about 20 miles north of Moda Center.  Basically, I root for college or professional teams on the Pacific Coast.  The PAC12 is the Conference of Champions!!]

I have watched on television, or listened to, or read about, or talked about, or cheered for, or lamented (2014-2019) about 58 Laker Teams during 58 NBA seasons.  I have watched and cherred for, or all hung our heads in dignified defeat, the Laker 1st Team Greats: Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neil, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, James Worthy.  Add in guys like Pau Gasol, Gail Goodrich, Michael Cooper, Wilt Chamberlin, Jamal Wilkes, A C Green, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Luke Walton, Michael Thompson, Horace Grant, ... the list goes on and on ... 2nd Team, 3rd Team, rookies, veterans, Kobe at 18!  Add in this exciting mix are key people like Jerry Buss, Jack Kent Cooke, Jeanie Buss, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Jerry West, Chick Hearn, Stu Lantz, trainers, media people, writers, and celebrities galore.  The LA Lakers were and now are "Showtime."

Players come and go, decades pass.  Who is the greatest of the All?  Who is the Lakers GOAT.

The NBA Finals is the Super Bowl or World Series of professional basketball.

The Lakers have been to the NBA Finals 31 times, the most of any professional sports team.

Laker's Teams are the GOAT!






No comments:

Post a Comment