Friday, July 02, 2021

Belief in Telekinetic Minds

 

“The idea of God as telekinetic mind with intelligence, knowledge, plans, preferences, control over events, etc., is completely unacceptable to me. This is obviously human projection taking thousands of highly elaborated cultural forms. Yet I have, in dire straits –in foxhole conditions you might say—experienced the feeling that I can only describe as my life or fate being in the hands of God.  Like William James, I think there is religious experience and related forms of so-called mystical experience that are moving and meaningful. I just don’t believe in supernatural persons, and I think the forms of fear, hope, antipathy and confidence that the major world religions stimulate in people are more destructive than constructive.”
-  Catherine Wilson


Epircureanism


Epicureanism at the Origins of Modernity By Catherine Wilson. Oxford University Press, 2008. Index, bibliography, 304 pages. A study of Epicurean influences on many of the ideas that pervaded seventeenth and eighteenth century metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, and natural and political philosophy. VSCL.







No comments:

Post a Comment