Sunday, March 25, 2007

Staff Weapons

Mike Garofalo holding Staff Weapons.

I practice with two staff weapons:

White Oak Staff, 50" long x 1.25" in diameter, from wle

Red Oak Staff, 72" long x 1.25" in diameter, from wle


A stout stick, along with the bow and arrow and spear, are three of the earliest weapons and hunting tools of mankind. Talk about returning to the "primitive" via staff weapons practice and play ....

Staff Weapons: Bibliography, Links, Resources, Quotes and Notes Research by Mike Garofalo. March 2007, 118 Kb.

Lately, I have been learning the Chen Long Pole 18 Movement Form. I don't have a 10 foot long wax wood pole like Chen Qingzhou uses, but I get by with my stout red oak staff. You can't do the vibration and shaking action with a red oak staff like you can with the longer wax wood poles, or slam your red oak staff on the ground with the same gusto, but you can do everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment