Friday, March 16, 2007

Chen Style of Taijiquan

Chen Style of T'ai Chi Ch'aun
Bibliography, Links, Quotes, Notes, Resources
Research by Michael P. Garofalo

Website Address: http://www.egreenway.com/taichichuan/chen1.htm

I started studying Chen Style Taijiquan in March, 2007, at age 61. The Chen Taijiquan practices are fairly challenging for an old man, and invigorating. Aging gracefully requires one to be open to new ways of moving, new ideas and practices, and new people. Learning is fun, humbling, and gets one back to "beginner's mind."

What I have found the hardest to consistently practice in these first few first weeks of study is doing Standing Meditation (Zhan Zhuang), Standing Like a Tree, Chen Style. I have read books by Jan Diepersloot and Michael Mayer about standing meditation (Yiquan), and am familiar with a variety of meditation techniques, since I teach Hatha Yoga, have studied Zen since 1962, and majored in Philosophy. I would much rather move than stay still, standing in a semi-squat, but I am making some effort in the practice.

Holding and moving in the lower stances typical of the Chen style of Taijiquan is also difficult. My thighs, hips and lower back have ached a bit more from being in the high squatting positions with legs wide. As with all new exercises, it will take four months to get basic conditioning and tolerance for the new movement patterns and postures. Patience and practice will improve the situation. Chen Taijiquan appears to me to be very sophisticated in its movement arts and will require many years of determined study and practice to gain modest proficiency.

Carmine Farruggia has provided me with instructions and guidance. I will get some additional instruction from him this month in Sacramento.

No comments:

Post a Comment