Thursday, February 14, 2019

Benefits of Playing Music


By Sharon Bryant, 2014.  She presents brief summaries of the results of many studies of adults playing music.

Personally, I own an electric piano and harmonicas.  I like to play and listen, experiment, noodle around, learn something, improvise, listen to and jam with my favorite digital recordings, go with the flow, have fun, exercise bodily coordination skills and timing with hands or mouth in a musical fashion, sharpen the brain a little, fiddle with equipment, keep active and interested in hobbies, spend some retirement time, develop some basic skills in music, enjoy myself.

Electric pianos are excellent for listening by headphones.  Plug in the piano earphones and nobody can hear you playing.  Play anytime, night or day, and you will not not bother anyone.  Harmonicas can be played quietly, but be aware that others might not share your enthusiasm, or tolerate your missed notes or poor timing while learning, or just not like the sound of a harmonica.

Typically, I am a musical performer for an audience of one.  However, it delights me a great deal when I play a song that another person can recognize. 

Eighty-eight reasons and benefits for playing music yourself.

During my lifetime, I have also amused myself for decades making String Figures.  Good for using the hands and fingers to create various shapes with the string.  As with playing music, a song begins and ends, a temporal phenomenon; likewise, the string art work is created, figures appear, then disappear.  Nothing permanent (like a painting, book, or harmonica) the songs and string figures come and go.  An event, a happening.  Nothing remains but a silent harmonica or silent piano or limp string. 

The musical instrument itself is a work of art - but a silent one.  That is another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment