Saturday, June 27, 2020

Old Age - My Health Problems - Remedies

My walking, weight lifting, Taijiquan, Qigong, dietary, and Yoga practices have helped me to stay healthy and make it to 74 years of age. 

I have led a fortunate life, have many accomplishments, and worked till 70 years of age.
I am now facing the challenges of an aging body with constructive daily actions and a positive demeanor.  I am very fortunate to have excellent medical care in Vancouver, Washington, having both Medicare and Anthem Blue Cross insurance, and benefit from medical advances unknown in 1980. 

I work with three medical doctors: internal medicine, cardiology, and endocrinology. 

I have managed my Type II diabetes since 1996, starting when I was age 50.  I kept my AIC to under 6.5 until I was 69.  I now take the maximum recommended dosages of Glipizide, Metformin, Losartin, and Trulicity.  Now, I get high blood sugar readings if I don't very strictly monitor my intake of carbohydrates. 

Currently, I try my best to consume under 2,000 calories per day, and under 150 grams of carbohydrates per day.  My three month body weight goal is 235 pounds, and I am now at 246 pounds.  My one year goal is to weigh 215 pounds. 

I try to walk seven days each week.  I walk my dog, Bruno, for 40 minutes daily.  I also use a treadmill at home.  My goal is to walk, mostly on flat ground, for 75 minutes each day.

I practice Tai Chi Chuan and Qigong daily. 

I also have heart disease (pacemaker for Bradycardia, stent in my LAD) and symptomatic high blood pressure.  I am working with my medical doctors to find the right combination of blood pressure drugs to lower my blood pressure.  This is my most serious current health problem. 

I expect to die from stroke or heart attack, sooner rather that later, due to my age, and with these serious health problems.  So, my web publishing might end suddenly, and everything else for me, due to these problems of old age. 

My Cloud Hands Blog (2005-2020) and my many web pages (1999-2020) have, hopefully, helped in some way to benefit others. 


Walking: Quotes, Sayings, Information, Medical 

Tai Chi Chuan for Diabetics


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:17 PM PDT

    Dear Michael,

    I have only recently stumbled upon your writing, so when publishing stops suddenly I may have may years of future reading. Thanks for documenting your experience. Keep going.

    Anthony
    https://theorderofwalkers.home.blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I am a woman,74 years young, type 1 diabetic for 50 years, having gone thru yoga, weight lifting, Kung fu, chen tai chi. I have been doing argentine tango for the last 5 years along with pilates and I am in better physical and mental condition than I was in my younger years. I have been lo carb for most of my years but now practice intermittent fasting. Looking at similarities and dissimilarities, Life is a funny thing.

    ReplyDelete