Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Why I am Voting for Joe Biden

 From an old friend, Philip Yantis, from our college days (1965) and while we were working part-time at the City of Commerce Library in East Los Angeles.  We both volunteered to serve in the U.S. military.  

"To friends and family who support Trump, I copied this from another friend's post but it says what I wish to say in regards to the coming election:

A friend (who happens to be a staunch Trump supporter) asked me ‘why I want Joe Biden as my president?’
"It was actually a good, reasonable question…one that deserved a reasonable, and honest answer.
My support for Joe Biden has more to do with my severe disdain for Trump than it does with overwhelming affection for Joe Biden.
Don’t get me wrong, I believe Biden is a good, decent and honorable man…his politics and ideology are moderate, which I like...and, I believe he will work to unite us, rather than divide us. I believe he will restore a level of dignity and rational behavior to the office of the president.
But Joe Biden and I are not ‘perfectly aligned’ ideologically…no, this is not about ideology, or partisanship, or even specific emotionally charged issues, such as 'pro-life vs. pro-choice'.
No, this election is about the very character and soul of our nation…it is about placing ‘love of country’ above ideology.
I believe Joe Biden is basically honest, and will not insult us with a never-ending barrage of easily disproved lies…
Joe Biden will not tell us the 'free press' is the ‘enemy of the people’…
Joe Biden will not tell us we should trust Vladimir Putin more than we trust our own CIA, FBI, NSA, or DOJ…
Joe Biden will not advocate separating families and caging children…nor will he demonize immigrants with lies and hate-filled rhetoric…
Joe Biden will not tell us that NATO, which has successfully maintained peace in Europe for the past 75 years, is obsolete…nor would he abandon our long-held allies in Syria, an act that Lindsey Graham called a ‘stain on the character of our great nation’.
Joe Biden will not insult our closest allies (Angela Merkel, Emanuel Macron, Justin Trudeau) while flattering and fawning over Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong Un.
Joe Biden will not pick unnecessary trade wars with our closest trading partners
Joe Biden will not deploy federal troops against our own citizens, against the expressed wishes of the duly elected governors and mayors…
Joe Biden will not 'tear gas' protesters to clear a path for a blasphemous photo op holding a Bible upside down against the backdrop of the actual bishop of the church who expressed outrage at the actions of the president
No, Joe Biden, a devout Catholic, won’t ever use Christianity as a blasphemous prop under any circumstance…
And, this is important...even respected (former) republican leaders, some that even I respect, such as Gen John Kelly, Gen Colin Powell, Gen James Mattis, Adm William McRaven, Adm Michael Mullin, and Rex Tillerson will never feel compelled to warn me that Joe Biden is a threat to my nation, my constitution, and our democracy.
And finally, white supremacists, such as David Duke, will never endorse Joe Biden and tell us that voting against Joe Biden is betraying our white heritage…and if any of these White Supremacists did endorse him, Joe Biden would quickly denounce their endorsement and their racist beliefs…
Joe Biden will never say, 'I take no responsibility at all'...that is simply not in his nature...
I could go on, but I think you get the point…I want Joe Biden as my president because he is ‘not Donald Trump’. I want Joe Biden because in many ways he is the antithesis of Donald Trump.
I want Joe Biden for my president because I truly do love this country, and I truly do believe America, all its citizens, and the entire world deserves better than what we have gotten for the past 3 ½ years…
I could talk about the COVID response as well, but you already know what I would say about that…
I hope this clears up my reasons…and I sincerely hope everyone will take the time to consider what is the character that we want for America…what does it really mean to ‘make America great’…"
I want Joe Biden because he is man enough to choose a running mate that challenged him in the debates, a woman of color, and of Indian heritage who called him on bussing. He did not denounce her, call her vile names, do everything in his power to destroy her - which is what Trump would’ve done. He pulled her into the fold and didn’t hold a grudge because he is man enough to take criticism and grow from it, not stew in it.

Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment