Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sun Style Taijiquan

Sun Style Taijiquan 73 Movements International Competition Form: Bibliography, Links, Lessons, Quotations


Sun Style Taijiquan Sword (Jian) 62 Movements Form:  Bibliography, Links, Lists, Quotes

I had some comments and questions this week about the Sun Style of Taijiquan:

"Hello Mike, I have now decided (after about 4 years of Sun 97 form) that I would like to do the Swordplay of Sun Jian Yun....... I have the instructional DVD and have looked your website over and am pleased to see what you have available as helps.  You mentioned you have learned the Sun Taiji Jian 62 form and used the resources you list.  A couple of questions please: Since I don't have a lot of room.... 6' x 15', I am sort of curious about some hints you might give me to learn the sword without cutting up my table and chairs lol. Secondly, I am looking into a wooden sword for learning practice.... does that sound good to do?  Because of the weight difference should I just go ahead and look into a spring steel one?  Lastly, I see there is a "collapsible" sword (I guess that's what you call them) do you have any thought on that?  Any and all hints and pointers would be so greatly appreciated. (I am as you are in that I am the "lone" Sun shi player in Central Illinois -- Danville -- just west of Indy about 90 miles on the Interstate) I do teach 24 form and Tai Chi for Health at my community college -- I am certified in Dr. Lam's Tai chi for Arthritis.... second time) Thanks for your help in advance."  From Victor V, 4/21/2012
My response: 
Victor,
Great to hear about your steady practice of the Sun 97 Form.  Nice to hear that you are teaching the 24 form for its health benefits. Dr. Lam has done a lot to popularize Sun Shi Taiji. 
I favor a steel Jian double edged Tai Chi sword that is stiff and straight.  I use the Paul Chen fully tempered high carbon steel Tai Chi sword - around $120.00.  I do not like the Wushu flexible and light steel swords that wiggle and twang; or the funky unattractive collapsible Tai Chi swords that I have seen.  Wooden jian sword replicas are light and generally inexpensive - and quite popular. For indoor practice, maybe you can use a short wood dowel of 2 feet for $3.00 ... a "magic wand" jian.  
I use a cane for practicing my Tai Chi cane forms, saber forms and sword forms outdoors.  I know that most Taiji weapons' players would insist on practice with a proper steel sword or saber; so I'm in the minority on this recommendation.  A good, properly sized, martial arts cane is very easy to carry anywhere and nobody notices.  It is a "real" weapon.  I practice forms more because I use a cane.  I use a pure hickory heartwood cane, Instructor's Walking Cane, 40" (103 cm) long and 1" (2.54 cm) in diameter, from Cane Masters.  
Best wishes, Mike

"Love your website, surprised you didn't have this link. My favorite for the Sun 98.
Sunstyle taijiquan performed by Master Wang Yanji. Maste Wang studied wushu- martial arts from family Li, And has studied to the Chinese many martial arts famous experts."
Regards, tcsail09
I added this UTube Video (7:21 minutes) to my list of Sun 98 resources today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment