Sunday, April 01, 2012

Notes on Learning the Chen Style of Taijiquan (#1)

Because of the three surgeries on my upper left leg because of a tumor, and the amputation of part of my right middle toe because of a diabetic ulcer, during the period of June 2011 until February 2012, I was unable to make much progress on learning and practicing the Old Frame, First Form.  My health has improved and I am now dealing with the aftermath of problems in my left leg.  Fortunately, I am now walking four miles on four days of each week, practicing Tai Chi and Qigong daily, lifting weights, and teaching yoga and taijiquan again.  

I am quite comfortable now with practicing the short 18 movement Chen Taijiquan form developed by Grandmaster Chen Zhenglei which I learned a few years ago.  

Last week I updated a number of my webpages on the Chen Style of Taijiquan by adding new links, book citations, and made some changes in the formatting of those webpages.  

My primary "virtual" Chen Style of Taijiquan teacher is Grandmaster Chen Zhenglei.  I carefully study his five English language books, his DVD lectures, and his instructional DVDs.  I use two specific books and two specific instructional DVDs for learning the Old Frame First Form (Lao Jia Yi Lu).  I have never met Chen Zhenglei in person, but I hope to someday attend one of his workshops in the Northwest, USA.  I also read many other books by other authors and view other relevant instructional DVDs on the Chen style of Taijiquan. 

Lately, I have been carefully studying:

Chen's Tai Chi Old Frame One and Two.  By Grandmaster Chen Zhenglei.  Translated by Jack Yan.  White Bench Publications, Toronto, Canada, 2011.  396 pages.  ISBN: 978-0-9866756-2-1.  This book is entirely in English.  It is well illustrated with black and white photographs of Chen Zhenglei.  



Traditional Chen Village, Chen Style Tai Chi, Lao Jia Yi Lou, Part I.  Excellent instructional DVD by Shifu Jiang Jian-ye.  Part I is 114 minutes long.  Capitol District Tai Chi and Kung Fu Association (CDTKA), Albany, New York, 1998. 

Chen Style Tai Chi Old Frame Routine One.  Demonstration and instruction by Master Jesse Tsao.  2 instructional DVDs or VHS videotapes, 60 minutes each DVD.

I am now reviewing and practicing Sections I-V, Movements 1-15, of the Old Frame, First Form.  
 
Silk Reeling exercises and standing meditation are considered essential foundation practices of the Chen style of Taijiquan.  I will speak about silk reeling in a later notebook entry.  Many of Grandmaster Chen Zhenglei's books and DVDs include presentations on silk reeling exercises.  
 
I plan to keep a Notebook to record my progress in my studies of the Chen Style of Taijiquan. 

2 comments:

  1. Hope you find your balance & strength soon. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind thoughts and encouragement.
    The leg surgeries compromised my lymphatic system and I still have swelling in my left leg and feel "sluggish" in that leg. I hope exercise will ameliorate the problem over time, and I will just cope. I'm hoping the lower and wider Chen stance will work some magic.

    ReplyDelete