Saturday, February 18, 2023

Limping Towards Recovery


I was making steady progress on recovery from my cryo-balloon heart ablation on 2/2/2023.  I was walking for over 6,000 Steps per day, practicing my Taijiquan, and doing some light stretching.  

Last Sunday, while getting up carelessly and quickly from a 14 inch high low bench, I twisted my right leg.  Immediate Pain!  My right knee buckled and hurt, my hamstring hurt, my quadriceps hurt.  I could not walk without serious pain.  I was slowly limping around the house.  I began treatment: rest, ice, compression, gentle massage, elevation of my right leg.  Then, I sprained my right foot on Tuesday.  More pain, more limping, more discouragement.  

This is a rare series of leg injuries for me.  Very discouraging and disappointing setback to my normal exercise routines, and my heart recovery.  I've not injured my hamstrings or quadriceps since my baseball playing days when I was 40.  

I am now studying and implementing the recommendations for slow recovery found in the excellent book:

Built from Broken. A Science-Based Guide to Healing Painful Joints, Preventing Injuries, and Rebuilding Your Body. By Scott Hogan. Salt Wrap, 2021, index, reference, appendices, 341 pages. VSCL. 

Strength Training for Seniors





For Spiritual Encouragement, I am rereading and studying the valuable book:

Light on Life: The Yoga Journey to Wholeness, Inner Peace, and Ultimate FreedomBy B.K.S. Iyengar.  With John J. Evans and Douglas Abrams.  Rodale Books, 2005.  Index, 282 pages.  ISBN: 1594862486.  VSCL.  Contrary to some critics of popularized "gym" yoga, blaming Iyengar; his books reveal his spirituality through the practice of yoga postures, breath work, self-discipline, positive psychology, and meditation.  In short, Raja Yoga and Hatha Yoga combined.  

Spiritual Practices for Self-Transformation

How to Live a Good Life: Advice from Wise and Respected Persons



I checked out three books from the Fort Vancouver Regional Library System:  

Tibetan Yoga: Magic Movements of Body, Breath and Mind.  By Alejandro Chaoul.  This yoga practice requires instruction from a qualified teacher.  The book provides theory, ancient texts, and very brief descriptions of the movements.  There are no pictures or illustrations of the specific movements.  The use of shaking the body between movements, asanas, and postures are similar to Qigong systems.  For experienced Yogis.

Accessible Yoga: Poses and Practices for Every Body.  By Jivana Heyman.  Beginner's Yoga and for people with health problems.  Good photos to illustrated modified poses.  

Both books tended to stress the incompleteness and inadequacy of popular Western hatha yoga practice in gyms and yoga studios.  They take issue with the goals of flexibility and athleticism in common yoga; and, its not making yoga accessible to different body types or sub-cultures, or for those people seeking spiritual development via Yoga practices.  

In my view, different strokes for different folks.  I'm OK with slim, young, beautiful, athletic, Christian females doing rigorous 'gym' yoga; or, male lamas doing Tibetan yoga on three month retreats; or, old Bigger men, like me, seeking a modicum of fitness without injury via yoga and strength training.  Some folks are into the 'spiritual' dimensions of Raja Yoga, others not so much so.  Everyone benefits from these Yoga practices if they Practice Daily.  

I've been doing some light stretching using a chair or table for support.  

Chair Yoga: Sit, Stretch, and Strengthen Your Way toa Happier, Healthier You.  By Kristin McGee.  William Morrow, 2017. Index, 271 pages. Basic instruction in many exercises you can do while supporting yourself with a chair.  There are numerous books on the market for Chair Yoga.  For beginners and seniors needing alternatives.  VSCL. 

Yesterday, I felt comfortable and safe enough to resume walking, Taijiquan, and gentle stretching, and even some strength training.  I walked 3,400 Steps.  My goal is to walk over 3.500 to 5,000 Steps per day for the next five days.  





No comments:

Post a Comment