Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Snow on the Yolla Bolly Mountains

A cold weather storm came in from the northwest last week.  That storm dropped 5 inches of rain on Red Bluff.  Snow levels dropped to 2,500 feet.  We had no snow in the valley, but below freezing temperatures in the valley injured a few of our more sensitive plants. 


This is the view from our back yard, looking towards the Yolla Bolly mountain range to the west. 

On the west side of the North Sacramento Valley, about 40 miles west of our home, is the coastal mountain range called the Yolla Bolly Mountains.  These mountains are mostly from 6,000 to 8,000 feet in our area. Mt. Linn, South Yolla Bolly Mountain, is 8,094 feet.  For more information: Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness




"From Heaven I fall, though from earth I begin.
No lady alive can show such a skin.
I'm bright as an angel, and light as a feather,
But heavy and dark, when you squeeze me together.
Though candor and truth in my aspect I bear,
Yet many poor creatures I help to insnare.
Though so much of Heaven appears in my make,
The foulest impressions I easily take.
My parent and I produce one another,
The mother the daughter, the daughter the mother."
-  James Parton, A Riddle - On Snow 

No comments:

Post a Comment