Sunday, January 29, 2012

Walking Again

My foot surgeon told me last Thursday that I could resume my walking exercise program.  I have also been wearing regular shoes for two weeks instead of the special orthopedic boot to offload pressure on my right foot.  

I have not been able to much aerobic exercise for six months because of the thigh wound problems resulting from three surgeries on a large tumor in my thigh, and from a diabetic ulcer in my right middle toe.   

I will start with 2 laps (1.2 miles) on the cul de sac in front of my home and gradually work my way up to 6 laps (3.6 miles) during the next few weeks.  I will try my best to walk once or twice a day.  I normally walk 3.5 miles four or five days every week.  

I enjoy a very safe and lovely walking path on a country lane.  Pictured below is me walking laps on a cool and foggy morning.   


Walking regularly is one of my great pleasures in life. 




"If you want to know if your brain is flabby, feel your legs."
-   Bruce Barton  

"If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking.  Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk."
-   Raymond Inmon

"As I went walking
That ribbon of highway
I saw above me
The endless skyway
I saw below me
The lonesome valley
This land was made for you and me."
-   Woody Guthrie, This Land is Your Land

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks."
-   Thomas Mann



"Happy is the man who has acquired the love of walking for its own sake!"
-   W.J. Holland

"Solvitur ambulando," St. Jerome was fond of saying.  To solve a problem, walk around."
-   Gregory McNamee  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment