Friday, May 28, 2010

Sleep as Meditation

Nearly every night of my 64 years of living I have slept soundly.  I sleep peacefully for 6 to 8 hours every day.  I am not conscious of thinking much while sleeping, except when I remember having a dream (which I seldom do).  I am calm and still while I sleep.  My experience of sleeping is one of a quiet, peaceful, pleasant, restful, and satisfying experience.  I seem to be in a state of relaxed unconsciousness, but can wake up fairly easily if the need arises.  Generally, I am untroubled while sleeping, don't worry, don't seem unhappy, and don't harm others.  I don't mull over problems, philosophize, plan, or fret while sleeping.  When I awaken from a sound sleep I feel refreshed, restored, rejuvenated, and good all over. 

The reason I bring up my sleeping habits is to point out that many of the meditation techniques I have studied for the last 50 years assign a purpose to meditation that I have already achieved while sleeping: not thinking, no preferences, non-dualistic, blissful, peaceful, re-energizing, pleasurable, etc.  Or, meditation experts describe a method or procedure for meditating that has many of the features that I already embody while sleeping: remaining still, being calm, breathing regularly, closing one's eyes, relaxing, etc..   

Sleeping Your Way to Nirvana

I am doing some research on this topic and will post my findings in my Pathways in the Green Valley Blog.

2 comments:

  1. In fact, often times, the state of meditation is described as "sleeping but awake". But most of those who'd need meditation have troublesome nights too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, for the interesting comment. Is life but a dream when we are sleeping but awake?

    Mike

    ReplyDelete