Thursday, December 16, 2021

Return to Wapato Valley

 I was up at 4 am today.  No rain last night and no gusty winds.  Enjoyed daybreak coffee and cannabis on the cold Yurt porch.  I figure the entire campground is 95% empty.  My Circle B was empty but for me.  I took a short walk to the beach.

Loaded up my Ford Escape and began the drive back to Vancouver.  You must leave by 11 am.  I drove home by US101 and WA4.  

Lewis and Clark called the Columbia River bottom and lowland area between Vancouver and Longview the Wapato Valley because of the many wapato roots and camas bulbs harvested by the native Chinook people in the area.  


With 14.5 hours of darkness each day, I had plenty of time to read.  In the last three days I read the following books:

Chinookan Peoples of the Lower Columbia.  Edited by Robert T. Boyd, Kenneth M. Amers, and Tony A. Johnson.  University of Washington, 2015, 464 pages.  VSCL.  Maps, index, art, bibliography.  Outstanding collection of articles.

Cathlapotle and its Inhabitants 1792-1860.  By Robert Boyd.  U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Portland, Oregon, 2011.  Index, 209 pages, many maps and charts, place name index, detailed bibliography, art work.  Fascinating study of native people living the area from For Vancouver to Ilwaco, on both sides of the lower Columbia River, as reported by persons living then.  FVRL. 

The Chinook Jargon and How to Use It: A Complete and Exhaustive Lexicon of the Trade Language.  By George Coombs Shaw in 1909, Ranier Printing, Seattle.  Franklin Classics, 2018, 65 pages.  VSCL. 

Mountain Home: The Wilderness Poetry of Ancient China.  Translated by David Hinton.  New Directions, 2005, 320 pages.  VSCL.  








 

















No comments:

Post a Comment