Sunday, June 06, 2010

Taijiquan 32 Sword Form

32 Sword Form, Simplified, Yang Style, Taijiquan Jian. By Michael P. Garofalo. This popular webpage includes a comprehensive bibliography, scores of links to webpages; an extensive listing of the names and name variations for each movement in English, Chinese, French, German, and Spanish; a detailed analysis of each posture and movement sequence with explanations, and numbered illustrations and detailed instructions; selected quotations; comments on 20 Taijiquan sword techniques; a comprehensive media bibliography; a chart of performance times; and, a comparison of the 32 and 55 sword forms in the Yang style. This is the standard, simplified, orthodox, 1957, 32 Taiji Sword Form, in the Yang Style of T'ai Chi Ch'uan.

32 Taijiquan Simplified Sword Form

20 T'ai Chi Ch'uan Sword Techniques

55 Classical Yang Taiji Sword




The Wild Horse Jumps Over the Mountain Stream




Zhong Kui
Vanquisher of Demons
Protector of the Home

2 comments:

  1. Hello. do you by any chance know about the 42 sword form?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdJ_ByWgraE&feature=related
    This form I am learning now is used in internation competions (though I don't care of course!). I am searching also for the names of movements in english....

    Same for 42 bare hands form. My techer says I should learn it because it is more symmetrical and you get an understanding of Chen, Li, and Wu style in it. For the symmetrical point of view, I replied that since I am practising the 85 form both ways, this is not a good enough reason. And as I am far from finished with Yang style (I am in the slowing process and do the form between 25 and 30 minutes these days), what is the point? Looking for an outsider view...

    Thanks for all your pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maccac,

    The 42 sword and hand forms are, indeed, standard international competition sets. There are numerous instructional DVDs on these forms, but I don't know about books or webpages.

    It is always a difficult matter to decide upon when your teachers tells you that you "should" do something. Only you will know what do do about meeting a teacher's expectations.

    I've never done the traditional Yang long form "both ways" to the right and left sides. I'd rather just learn to do the Yang one way, and then learn a new traditional form like the Chen Old Frame First Form.
    I'm right handed and don't bother training my left hand to be as skilled. I'm old, don't have much time for increased practice, and don't like to frustrate myself.

    ReplyDelete