Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dao De Jing, Laozi, Chapter 70

Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
Chapter 70

"Though the words of the sage are simple,
and his actions easily performed,
they are few among many,
who can speak or act as a sage.
For the ordinary man it is difficult

to know the way of a sage,
perhaps because his words
are from the distant past,
and his actions naturally disposed.
Those who know the way of the sage

are few and far between,
but those who treat him with honesty,
will be honored by him and the Tao.
He knows he makes no fine display,

and wears rough clothes, not finery.
It is not in his expectancy of men
that they should understand his ways,
for he carries his jade within his heart."
-   Translated by Stan Rosenthal, 1984, Chapter 70  

"My words are so simple to understand
and so easily put into practice
that no one in all beneath heaven understands them
and no one puts them into practice.
Words have their ancestral origins and actions their sovereign:
it's only because people don't understand this that they don't understand me.
And the less people understand me the more precious I become.
So it is that a sage wears sackcloth, keeping pure jade harbored deep."
-   Translated by David Hinton, Chapter 70   

"It is very easy to comprehend my teachings and to put them into practice.
Yet there is no one in the world who is able either to comprehend, or to practice them.
There is an originating principle for speech, an authoritative law for conduct, but because this knowledge is lacking I am unknown. Those who know Me are few; those who imitate Me are worthy.
Hence the Holy Man wears coarse garments, but carries a jewel in his bosom."
-   Translated by C. Spurgeon Medhurst, 1905, Chapter 70 

"My sayings are easy to recognize, and very easy to apply.
But no one in the world can recognize them, and no one can apply them.
Sayings have a source, events have a leader.
It is only through ignorance that I am not known.
Those who know me are rare; those who emulate me are noble.
This is why sages dress plainly, and conceal what is precious."
-   Translated by Thomas Cleary, 1991, Chapter 70  

"My words are very easy to understand
And very easy to put into practice.
Yet no one under heaven understands them;
No one puts them into practice.
But my words have an ancestry, my deeds have a lord;
And it is precisely because men do not understand this
That they are unable to understand me.
Few then understand me, but it is upon this very fact my value depends.
It is indeed in this sense that “the Sage wears hair-cloth on top,
But carries jade under neath his dress.”"
-   Translated by Arthur Waley, 1934, Chapter 70 

"My words are very easy to understand and very easy to put into practice; but in all the world there is no one who can understand them and can put them into practice.
My words have a system, my actions have a governor.
Indeed, it is just because they are not understood, that men do not understand me.
Those who understand me are rare, those who pattern themselves after me are highly prized.
Thus the Saint wears hair-cloth, but carries jade in his breast."
-   Translated by Jan Julius Duyvendak, Chapter 70    





 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment