Tuesday, June 06, 2023

Falling Down

I was working in my front yard yesterday.  The whole west side of our yard slopes down to the street.  Because the area is not flat, we must be very careful when working there in our vegetable garden so that we don't fall.  

Yesterday, I turned and misjudged the curb edge at the street, stumbled, lost my balance, and fell hard on the street asphalt.  Injured my right hip, right knee, left leg inside abductor, and right elbow.  The right knee was injured the most.  Bruises and scrapes in a number of areas.

I iced the knee and elbow.  I put antiseptic cream on the abrasions.  Rested!  Complained to myself!  Pissed off about falling.  Mumbling Cussing ... for little while. 

I fell once in the July of 2016 at Red Bluff.  I feel once in December 2016 my daughters Alicia's home in Vancouver.  Both times the injuries were painful and serious.  I consulted with an orthopedic doctor.  I did physical therapy on my left kneecap, right knee, and right hip.  Now, I fell again in June of 2023.  

I guess I should not complain. At the age of 77 many folks get out of balance sometimes, stumble, or lose their balance temporarily.  Three falls in 25 years ... what am I complaining about.  

Still, getting out of balance and falling and hurting myself really pisses me off.  Carelessness?  Physical Health?  Dangerous area for working?  Clumsiness?  Balance Isses?    

I do think my practices of Tai Chi Chuan, Qigong, and Walking do actually help me maintain better balance.

So, for now, REST, and ICE, and Gentle Movements.  Slow Down.  Be More Careful. Watch my Step!  Be careful in dangerous areas were stumbling or falling is a possible hazard.  Be Patient.  Stop complaining and move on!


Built from Broken. A Science-Based Guide to Healing Painful Joints, Preventing Injuries, and Rebuilding Your Body. By Scott Hogan. Salt Wrap, 2021, index, reference, appendices, 341 pages. VSCL, Paperback.  

Strength Training for Seniors



No comments:

Post a Comment