Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Martial Arts - Scientific Methods

Which method do you use when learning about martial arts? How do you advance your learning in the martial arts and other mind-body movement arts? Yes, we do need to show respect to our teachers and our traditions, but our teachers are not gurus or prophets and our traditions are not dogmas and religions based on faith. I recommend you try to use the "scientific method" when learning; and, when seeking to obtain correct knowledge, valued practical experience, and wholesome outlooks on life.




I first read classical and modern Western and Eastern philosophers when I was fifteen,and have since considered myself a person with a humanistic, pragmatic, secular, and philosophical outlook on most matters. I have been content to use reasoning and science to help me solve most of my problems. Like most people, I make room for mystical,mythical, poetic, and symbolic viewpoints when dealing with many artistic, psychological and values issues.

Green Way Blog

"Books alone, however well written, or richly stored with facts, cannot teach all that is necessary to be know about the subject; they can only act as a guide. We must examine the work of the past, and note down errors of practice that have led to failures for rectification; so as to go forward with additional experience and a firm resolve to merit success in the new year."
- T. W. Saunders, 1887


No comments:

Post a Comment