Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Spring Things

Busy outdoors lately with gardening work the past few weeks. Here is a photo of my front yard and my outdoor area for Taijiquan practice.

















Here are some recent communications from readers of the webpages at the Cloud Hands website:


1. Adam Cerutti from Portland, Oregon, wrote: "Your list has been very helpful to me in the past. Thank you for maintaining it. Could you include some information about my Bagua Sifu."
Here you go, Adam:

Oregon Yin Style Bagua Association. Sifu: Kevin Nakaji. Lion System of Yin Style Bagua. Lineage: Yin Fu, as taught by He Jinbao. The Bamboo Grove, 134 SE 2nd and Taylor, Portland, Oregon. Email: kevin_nakaji@yahoo.com.

Bagua: Links, Quotes, Bibliography


2. Sandra wrote: "I
love your page on labyrinths, a fantastic and very complete work. Thank you so much!" She included a quote:

"We have fallen into the place
where everything is music."
- Rumi


3. Pete C wrote:

"Hi Michael,

"First, let me say I really enjoy your website and information you impart. I have a question regarding your thoughts on an idea I have. I am a 42 year old man and have recently began studying Northern Wu Tai Chi in Syracuse, NY. I LOVE it! I come from a background where I was a former Division I Defensive Tackle and did some really heavy weightlifting. I have some degenerative neck and shoulder issues. I maintain my physical strength/power quite easily but my joints are taking a big toll of wear and tear. I would like to completely stop weightlifting. I don't want to be that old, rickety guy hobbling down the street. I want to be the 75-80 year old flexible Tai Chi guy moving fluidly, sans being Chinese lol.
Anyway, I am looking at doing my Tai Chi and incorporating Yoga with it. Along with some VERY basic bodyweight exercises and walking. Do you feel this would be all I would need to achieve my goals.
As I get older, I find myself drawn to only things I enjoy doing and energizes me rather than draining me and waiting to recover. You seem like a good size fellow and was wondering how you find your yoga and tai chi integrated with your life. Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer and best of luck with everything."

Pete,

Thanks for the kind and positive feedback on my webpages.

I am 62 years old, 6'6' and 270lbs. My weekly program of exercise includes daily Tai Chi form practice, 45 minutes of weightlifting at a gym 4 days a week, power walking for 90 minutes four days a week, and teaching 6 classes a week at a gym (4 yoga/qigong classes). I'm enthusiastic and energized nearly all the time.

I do believe in strength training for seniors. Older fellows, however, can abandon the Power Lifting routines of their youth.

Yoga and Qigong are fine additions to an older persons exercise program. They emphasize flexibility, range of motion in joints, grace, balance, breathing exercises, philosophical viewpoints, quieting the mind, and social interaction.

The routine you describe sounds fine to me. The key elements are consistency, life-long habits, regular practice, free play, and enjoying the mind-body movement arts.

Wu Style Tai Chi is famous and widely practiced in China, but less so in U.S.. Yang style Taijiquan is the most common in America. After you are settled and confident in your Wu Taiji practice, consider learning the Standard 24 Tai Chi Form: http://www.egreenway.com/taichichuan/short.htm You can meet a lot more avid Taiji players and have many more workshop and retreat options if you know some Yang Style.
Best wishes for good health and happiness,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment