Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Turning Away from Useless and Stressful Thoughts or Beliefs

 
Disputing Irrational Beliefs:
Questions to Ask Yourself  


"1.  What self-defeating irrational belief do I want to dispute and surrender?
2.  Can I rationally support this belief?
3.  What evidence exists of the falseness of this belief?
4.  Does any evidence exist for the truth of this belief?
5.  What are the worst things that could actually happen to me if I don't get
     what I think I must (or do get what I think I must
not get)? 
6.  What good things could I make happen if I don't get what I think I must
     (or do get what I think I must
not get)?" 

Albert Ellis, Ph.D.  The Albert Ellis Reader: A Guide to Well-Being Using Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy, 1998, p. 140 



The Work: Identifying, Questioning, and Turning Around a Stressful Thought or Belief 
  1. Is the thought or belief true?
  2. How can I absolutely know that the thought or belief is true?  What evidence or facts can justify saying the thought or belief is true? 
  3. How do I react and what happens when I have that thought or belief? 
  4. Who would I be without the thought?  How would my life be better or improve without the belief or thought.
  5. How can I turn-around, reverse the thought, change the thought, modify the thought or belief, use different language to describe the thought, reverse its truth value, not take it personally, reject the thought or belief, trick myself into thinking otherwise, or go beyond the thought or belief.   
-  Refer to "The Work" by Byron Kathleen Mitchell.   



How to Life a Good Life: Advice from Wise Persons

Character Development and Virtues

Good Mental Health




No comments:

Post a Comment