Sunday, February 12, 2006

Burning Incense, I Open a Book

"Mind, mind, mind -- above the Path.
Here on my mountain, gray hair down,
I cherish bamboo sprouts, brush carefully
By pine twigs. Burning incense,
I open a book: mist over flagstones.
Rolling the blind, I contemplate:
Moon in the pond. Of my old friends
How many know the Way."
- Zengetsu
Zen Poems of China and Japan, p. 42
Translated by Lucien Stryk and Takashi Ikemoto

As the incense burns, I read “The Tao Of Yiquan: The Method of Awareness in the Martial Arts” by Jan Diepersloot.

"The boxing in question in its original form had only three movements, and was thus called Laosandao (Old Three Cuts). It was changed by Mr. Wang Zongyue and increased to 13 forms. That is one of the main reasons why this boxing has lost its quintessence. If it is practiced for the purpose of preserving one's health, it will only restrain one's spirit and energy and bring discomfort to the practitioner. If practiced for actual combat, it will only do harm to the limbs. Its other functions, if any, are nothing more than idling away the practitioners time and confusing his mind."
- Wang Xiangzhai, Tao of Yiquan, p. 98

No comments:

Post a Comment