Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Ba Gua Zhang


A repost from 2006:  

Ba Gua Zhang (Pa Kua Chang)
This webpage features many links, an extensive bibliography, quotations, notes, and some charts about Eight Trigrams (Bagua or Pa Kua) Boxing (Zhang or Chang)



Mike Garofalo, Bagua Circle Training Area

Here is my Bagua Zhang Circle training area in my backyard in Red Bluff, California. I had hung the Everlast punching bags to the post before I started the baguazhang practice. Then, as I do my baguazhang circle training practice, I get a energy boost by smashing the upper bag with palm strikes and the lower bag with side heel kicks or sweeping take-down kicks as I circle around the post. This practice session took place at around 7 in the morning.

Mike Garofalo, Bagua Circle Training Area

Here I'm practicing the Yin style of Baguazhang, the Bear Posture/Forms. This practice session took place at around 7 in the evening.


Mike Garofalo, Bagua Circle Training Area

I am fortunate to have a large outdoor area for practicing Baguazhang, Taijiquan and Qigong. This baguazhang practice session took place at around 7 in the evening.

The sandy surface is slower than hard clay, bricks or concrete. Just toss shovelfulls of sand around every so often, rake smooth and level, and then resume your practice on a like-new circle. This has been a much better solution than the mucky clay in the wet winters in Red Bluff.

No comments:

Post a Comment