Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Animal Frolics Qigong, Wu Qin Xi

I've added some new information and links to my webpages on the Five Animal Frolics Qigong

In the winter months I practice the Bear Frolic a bit more often. 

 "In addition to the key points of Qigong exercise, the Frolics of the Five Animals require attention to the following points:
1.  Integration of Form and Mind
2.  Flexible and Circular Movement 
3.  Slow and Fast Movement  [The Bear's movement is slow and steady.]
4.  Heaviness, Stability and Subtlety 
5.  Softness and Toughness  
6.  Order of the Frolics  [The Bear movement is done first in the series: bear, deer, tiger, monkey, and crane.] 
7.  Coordination of Movements with Respiration 
8.  Three-way Stability 
9.  Preparation  
10.  Conscientiousness 
11.  Perseverance in Practice  
-   Jiao Guorui, Qigong Essentials for Health Promotion, 1988, pp. 193-195  


Be sure to take a look at:
Bear Frolic.  UTube Video, 2:08 Min.  Performed by Anson Rathbone, 2007.  As taught by Deguang at NESA's Medical Qigong Class.  

 


4 comments:

  1. Qigong—Chinese mind/body exercises--helped me immensely in my successful battles with four bouts of supposedly terminal bone lymphoma cancer in the early nineties. I practiced standing post meditation, one of the most powerful forms of qigong--as an adjunct to chemotherapy, which is how it should always be used.
    Qigong kept me strong in many ways: it calmed my mind--taking me out of the fight-or-flight syndrome, which pumps adrenal hormones into the system that could interfere with healing. The deep abdominal breathing pumped my lymphatic system—a vital component of the immune system. In addition, qigong energized and strengthened my body at a time when I couldn't do Western exercise such as weight-lifting or jogging--the chemo was too fatiguing. And it empowered my will and reinforced it every day with regular practice. In other words, I contributed to the healing process, instead of just depending solely on the chemo and the doctors. Clear 14 years and still practicing!

    Bob Ellal
    Author, ‘Confronting Cancer with the Qigong Edge’

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your work for a long time: gardening, miths, martial arts, poetry, and it is always a pleasure reading your posts.
    greetings from a cold sunny morning in Madridrydr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    Your story is encouraging and very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

    Did you use any visualizations during standing post, or just keep the mind still and "empty"?

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alestedemadrid,

    It has been cold and overcast in Northern California, with ample snow in the mountains.

    Thank you very much for the kind feedback about my webpages.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete