Friday, January 14, 2011

Saying Goodbye to Rowdy

My faithful dog, Rowdy, passed away this week.  Old age, anemia, and inflamed hips were all too much for the big guy. 

He was a big friend, a powerful Rottweiller breed.  He was my favorite dog.  He always hung out with me when I was outdoors.  We had many a pleasant "talk" together. The photo below shows us resting one hot summer day. 

















“The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.”
- Samuel Butler

“If dogs are not there, it is not heaven.”
-  Elisabeth M. Thomas   
“Dogs lives are too short.  Their only fault, really.”
-  Carlotta Monterey O’Neill


I buried Rowdy near where I buried my other two dogs: Oreo and Chelsea. 
He will also get a concrete paver memorial headstone. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm terrible sorry for your loss. A dog is a member of the family.

    I watch my own dog get older. She's 15, deaf, her vision is going and she's becoming quite ... eccentric. I enjoy every minute we have with her because at 15, those minutes are becoming few.

    Have you ever read Old Dogs Are The Best Dogs by Gene Weingarten?

    http://cookdingskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/best-dogs.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick,

    Thanks for the kind thoughts.

    I'll check out the link.

    May your "eccentric" dog enjoy her final days.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete