Thursday, August 13, 2015

Resuming Employment

Today, I return to work for the Corning Union Elementary School District in Corning, California.  I have worked as the District Librarian, Media Services Supervisor, Textbook Manager, Webmaster and grant writer/manager since 1999.  I work part-time, 24 hours per week, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of each week, only during the academic school year (mid-August to early June).  I supervise four persons providing services at five libraries, and one person providing educational software support.  

I enjoy helping children (grades K to 8), encouraging reading, teaching, supporting teachers, getting curriculum materials into the hands of students, being useful to others, learning, and earning some extra income. 

Such outside employment reduces my time and energy for other pleasing activities such as reading, gardening, mind-body practices, home improvement projects, writing, reflection, etc.  

I hope to stay employed by the school district until I am almost 73 years of age - 3.5 more years.  Then, I plan to retire.  I hope to be able to continue teaching yoga, taijiquan, qigong, and fitness classes for many years until my health and fitness inevitably declines.  



"Work is love made visible."
-  Khalil Gibran



"Monotony is the law of nature.   Look at the monotonous manner in which the sun rises. 
The monotony of necessary occupations is exhilarating and life-giving."
-  Mahatma Gandhi



"Every kind of work can be a pleasure. Even simple household tasks can be an opportunity to exercise and expand our caring, our effectiveness, our responsiveness. As we respond with caring and vision to all work, we develop our capacity to respond fully to all of life. Every action generates positive energy which can be shared with others. These qualities of caring and responsiveness are the greatest gift we can offer."
-  Tarthang Tulku






Aging Well

How to Live a Good Life

Work




No comments:

Post a Comment