1. Expressing Gratitude
2. Cultivating Optimism
3. Avoiding Over-Thinking and Social Comparisons
4. Practicing Acts of Kindness
5. Nurturing Social Relationships
6. Developing Strategies for Coping
7. Learning to Forgive
8. Increasing Flow Expectations
9. Savoring Life's Joys
10. Committing to Your Goals
11. Practicing Spirituality
12. Taking Care of Your Body (Psychological Methods)
13. Taking Care of Your Body (Physical Activity)
14. Taking Care of Your Body (Acting Like a Happy Person)
15. The Hows Behind Sustainable Happiness: Positive Emotions,
Optimal Timing and Variety, Social Support, Motivation, Effort,
Commitment, and Habit.
The How of Happiness: A Scientific Approach to Getting the Life You Want By Sonja Lyubomirsky. New York, Penguin Books, 2008. Index, extensive notes, appendix, 366 pages. ISBN: 978-1594201486. Ms. Lyubomirsky, Ph.D., is a Professor of Psychology at the University of California at Riverside, and a leader in the field of positive psychology.
Professor Lyubomirsky analyzes what determines happiness. Her research indicates that "happiness" is determined approximately 50% by our internal biological "Set Point", 10% by our circumstances in life, and 40% by our intentional activity. Her explanations and suggestions are clear, reasonable, and grounded in psychological research. Gaining effective use of our intentional activities is the focus of this book. "This much happiness - up to 40% - is within your power to change."
How to Live a Good Life: Advice from Wise Persons
Virtues and a Good Life
An Old Philosopher's Notebooks