Friday, March 02, 2007

Feedback From Readers

"I just came across your page while doing research for an upcoming presentation - actually I came across it in the past but because of time constraints did not take the time to visit. That was a mistake, but you are now saved in MyFavorites. I want you to know that I think you have done an extraordinary service to the tai chi community."
- Roy W. Geib, Ph.D., Alvin S. Levine Professor of Microbiology & Immunology, Indiana University School of Medicine, 2/10/2007

Kudos for the Cloud Hands Website

"Just a short note to say how much delight I have taken from the poetry quoted on your site. I was searching for some lines to use in an internal newsletter here at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, WA, and now I have too much to choose from. What a problem!!! Thank you,"
- Katherine Bourdonnay, 3/1/07

"Michael, thank you for your compilation of quotations on happiness. My mother is a master gardener and I note the same radiance in her as in your biography and photos.
I am studying the philosophy of happiness and trying to assemble poetry that speaks to the great bringers of happiness: joy, contentment, surrender, etc. as well as confronting the takers of happiness: grief, fear, anxiety, worry, strain, etc. Any recommendations would be welcomed. I thank you for your life work! Hurrah for libraries and those that work within them. I also have taught yoga, I hope you won't mind if I share your collection with interested parties!"
- Lisa, 2/9/2007

Kudos for the Spirit of Gardening Website

"Hi Mike,
I note your piece on zen dance today. Don't know anything about this choreographer, but suggest you search out Cloud Gate dance theatre if you don't already know them... url is http://www.cloudgate.org.tw/eng/english/cgdt.htm
They use taichi in their daily training, and achieve deep fluidity of movement in performance. I've seen their work, but only on film. It has an extraordinary beauty.
I used to be a dancer, and now teach choreography and tai chi in the dance department of an English university.
Thanks for all your efforts to create a truly fascinating website. I visit daily...
Best wishes"
- Tim Lamford, 2/15/2007


And, a critical comment from RGW:

"RE: “Weeding my fiction books; into the giveaway box two old Bibles tossed.” (Your words taken from one of your web pages). Just had to let you know that if the message is to toss out “two old Bibles” as a weeding out of you “fiction books”, is ignorance. Just because you have not received the baptism of the holy spirit, who comes in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, and only in that name, does not mean that it does not exist.
FYI. (and have a nice day!)
Sincerely, RGW" 2/24/2006

RGW,
Yes, in my opinion, the Bible (Old and New Testaments) is mostly unimportant hokum offered up by bossy Middle-Eastern men who got too much hot sun on their heads. Moslems and their Koran are no better. Why decent and educated persons would want to bother to ponder or fret over the petty tribal politics and local customs of these ancient Jews and Arabs is beyond my understanding. What little there is in the Bible or Koran that is of value to us in 2007 could be figured out by anybody with ten cents of common sense.
Just because you, RGW, believe in something also does not mean that what you believe in exists, no matter how many manly divine Authorities you fancy. Maybe the "holy spirit" will someday help you see the truth in this matter. And, likewise ... have a nice day!
Mike Garofalo (MPG)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:10 PM PST

    As a born catholic from southern Germany, I only can agree with the author of the Cloud Hands site about the bible and the koran.

    Living in southern Taiwan for allready more than 9 years I learned a lot of philosohical and practical daoism, also lots of Internal Martial Arts, so I'm especially thankful for all the bibliographies on the site.

    And as we do some gardening in the brushes of the tropics, we have soemthing in common here, too.

    Thanks and keep going!
    It will take me a lot of time to digest all your stuff.

    Greetings from southern Taiwan!
    Ass. Prof. Dr. Hermann G. Bohn
    National Kaohsiung First University for Science & Technology, German department,
    Kaohsiung, Taiwan, R. o. C.

    ReplyDelete