Friday, January 25, 2008

Trigrams of the I Ching and Bagua

I occasionally get email regarding my webapge:
Eight Trigrams of the I Ching (Book of Changes)
The eight trigrams of the I Ching are the foundation for the 64 hexagrams of the I Ching or "Book of Changes." The I Ching is used in Taoist philosophy, divination, and Chinese symbolism and lore.

A circular arrangement of the Trigrams is a common symbol used in martial arts and is incorporated into banners, scrolls, flags, signs, embroidery on uniforms, patches, certificates, and other artwork. A circular arrangement of the Trigrams is often referred to as "Bagua." There is an internal martial art featuring circular defenses and offense called Ba Gua Zhang (Pa Kau Chang).

Here is an example of a recent email to me on the subject of the Trigrams from Kristo Eshke,

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the reply.

I have enclosed the Bagua sequence research, I have drawn out. It will show the flow of several different relationships, and the fractions they create Yang:Yin. The largely accepted sequence "Early Heaven" swaps 4 and 5 (wind and thunder). I have yet to discover or be educated as to why.

http://www.feng-shui-institute.org/trigrams.htm
The link above shows Yang-Yin-Bi grams-Tri grams, etc. You will notice from Father to Mother the "children" appear in order as well. When the trigrams are applied to the Bagua, the order is altered. It has been alluded that certain trigrams are inward flowing, while others are outward. . . though have not seen that info demonstrating it.

If you have a resource that can help me understand why it was altered and accepted as the "One" that would be great.

Peace,
Kristo"

The Feng Shui webpage on the Trigrams is well worth looking at.

The "One" is always a difficult concept to understand. Since it represents an undifferentiated condition, primordial Chaos, unknowability, and is beyond words ... it is hard to comprehend. Appreciation is probably best left to silence, awe, and mystical sensibility.

"I find circular patterns (i.e., sacred circles, labyrinths, spirals, spheres, etc) to be very interesting. Circular arrangements have a key place in the spiritual practices in my life. I am fascinated by the symbolic, artistic, religious, and psychological aspects of circular arrangements. Some use a cross or sword as the symbol of their religion; which, to me, are symbols which represent violence, torture, fear, death, and the end. Others, like me, find a wheel (Buddhist Dharma Wheel), Tai Chi Tun Yin-Yang Circle (Taoist), or sacred circle of trees (Nemeton) or stones (Labyrinth) more appealing to their spiritual sensibilities. The circle, to me, represents the cycle of the seasons, rebirth and return, new possibilities, union of complementary forces (e.g, male and female), the ring of commitment, complexity, and the pattern and order of the cosmos. My prejudices and preferences are, therefore, reflected in my interpretations."
Trigram Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment