Saturday, March 21, 2009

Taijiquan for Middle School Students



Yesterday, Friday, March 20th, Mrs. Johnson and Mr. Wilson invited me to do a presentation on Taijiquan to their sixth grade social studies classes at Maywood Middle School in Corning. The students were studying ancient Chinese Civilization. I prepared an informative handout and shared some ideas about the principles and practice of Taijiquan and Qigong from China.

I believe the students enjoyed and learned something from these short presentations (15 minutes) to four 6th grade classes. The students were attentive and respectful, and asked some good questions.

I demonstrated the Standard 24 Tai Chi Chuan Form, in the Yang Style. I demonstrated a few of the movement sequences at a normal slow motion pace, and the whole form at a faster "wushu" pace.

In the above photo, we are "Pressing Heaven and Earth" from the Eight Section Brocade Qigong.

My office is located at the Maywood Middle School. I work part-time as the Technology and Media Services Supervisor.

I do have a workshop presentation for 4th to 7th grade students (a one or two periods workshop) emphasizing stress reduction and character development using the Four Gates of the Grasping the Sparrow's Tail movement sequence from Yang Style Taijiquan. I am currently certified as a Substitute Teacher in the State of California. I teach Taijiquan and Yoga in Red Bluff, California.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great opportunity to share with the kids and perhaps inspire them to pursue the study themselves!

    ReplyDelete