Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bagua Zhang Practice in Chico

I enjoyed another Baguazhang lesson from Shifu Kent Howard at the Kodenkan Dojo in Chico this morning.

I really liked the drill: horse stance, hands crossed in front with palms up, slowly turn to the left side as the right hand slides underneath and down the left forearm until your turned halfway to the left, then turn the palms over and left palm presses outward the the right palm presses downward, until you turn completely to the left side. Return to center. Turn to the right and reverse previous hand movements.

Doing the exercises with the stones in the hand was useful and interesting.

I really enjoy, the most, the two person drills and light sparring.

Mud stepping, mud stepping ... keep the back heel on the ground longer.

Afterwards, Mr. Howard and I chatted for awhile. He told me that Wang Shujin always had a walking stick with him wherever he went and was skilled with its use. Gun is pronounced more like "gwn." He said Wang Shujin used two walking stick forms. Mr. Howard's book will be published next month by Blue Snake Books.

Anyone want to share a ride from Red Bluff to Chico on Sundays??

I'm going to do some work on my baguazhang training area at my home this week. It needs some Spring cleaning (i.e., weeding, mowing, shoveling, leveling, and adding five bags of sand).



Here is how it looked last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment