Saturday, January 26, 2013

Correspondence Examples

I get many emails each week from people reading my webpages or blog.  I enjoy the correspondence and hope my responses are useful.  I could easily fill my blog with correspondence alone.  Here are two from today:

.......................


"I e-mailed you once before with some questions and you responded promptly.  You were very helpful. 
It seems you have some health issues.  Diabetes?  
Are you interested in nutrition?
There is a book I'm currently reading that is very interesting.  "The Perfect Health Diet" by Paul and Shou-Ching Shih Jaminet.  Check it out.  
Best
 Tom"

"Tom, I am 67 years old, so some health problems are highly probable.
Yes, I do have diabetes:  http://www.egreenway.com/yoga/diabetes.htm
I generally follow Mark Hyman's, M.D., "Blood Sugar Solution."   

Thanks for your book suggestion from the Jaminets
Mike."


..........................


"Hi Mike, I'm from Argentina, taichi beginer, always looking for info and answers... I recently found your website, looking for Chen Short 18 Form info, great work!! Thanks for that...

I have a couple of questions that I always have for experienced teachers:

What do you think about the eternal discusion between Chen vs Yang?  It's Chen style taijiquan or it's Pao Chui mixed with some other things?  Is Yang the original taichichuan?  Not an easy question.

And last question, do you think it's the same (health and gong fu related) to do 1 long form (i.e. lao jia) rather than doing the 18 form for 5 times?  Can someone get gong fu by practicing only a short form several times?

Thank you very much, 

Maiano"


Mariano,

1.  Learn both the Yang 24 and the Chen 18.  Both have advantages and benefits.  If you prefer one over the other, then learn the traditional long form of the one you prefer.  Historical discussions and debates can be quite irrelevant to your physique, lifestyle, preferences, and current opportunities.  


2.  I think Chen style Taijiquan offers more to those interested in vigorous physical conditioning routines, i.e., both Lao Jia Yi Lu and Lao Jian Er Lu (Cannon Fist) and weapons.  Few Yang Taijiquan stylists do fast or vigorous forms.  For complete physical conditioning you will need to supplement Taijiquan with strength training, aerobic conditioning, and yoga.  

3.  Based upon my research, Chen Taijiquan was created around 1650 CE and Yang Taijiquan around 1850 CE.  Martial arts training, or course, goes back thousands of years before 1650 CE, and was radically redefined after the introduction of firearms in the 1850's.  Longer forms give you more martial arts techniques.  

4.  The amount of time you train hard is the key factor in getting stronger, more skilled, and in better overall condition.  As for overall longevity and good health, it is about 55% lifestyle, 5% medicine, and the rest is genetics and good luck. 

Best Wishes,

Mike 

No comments:

Post a Comment