Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Enjoy a Walk

Yesterday morning, I walked for 4.2 miles.  Walking slows life down, decreases tension, mellows the mind, and opens the soul.  Yes, it takes time; but, yes, it gives time.  

It was a beautiful spring morning.  All the fields are covered with wild grasses and they are bright green.  The almond orchards have leafed out.  All the nearby mountains, east-north-west of us, still have snow above 7,000 feet.  Lovely!  


I don't speed walk or power walk.  I don't walk very slowly like they do in Zen Meditation.  I just walk.  I walk at my own comfortable pace.  I playfully walk in different ways as the mood suits me.  


I don't walk to get anywhere.  I walk back and forth on a quiet paved county lane, on a cul de sac for 12 houses which are each on 5 acre parcels of land.  I see few people, and rarely any other walkers.  Dogs, cats, cows, and horses glace at me every so often.   

I felt very energetic and lively yesterday.  I also practiced Chen Taijiquan, Sun Taijiquan, and martial arts cane drills and forms. 





"I dressed and went for a walk - determined not to return until I took in what Nature had to offer."
-   Raymond Carver, This Morning


"When the time is ripe for certain things, these things appear in different places in the manner of violets coming to light in the early spring."
-  Farkas Bolyai  


"We live in a fast-paced society.  Walking slows us down."
-   Robert Sweetgall  


"Come, I come! ye have called me long,
I come o'er the mountain with light and song:
Ye may trace my step o'er the wakening earth,
By the winds which tell of the violet's birth,
By the primrose-stars in the shadowy grass,
By the green leaves, opening as I pass."
-  Felicia D. Hemans, Voice of Spring


"I haven't got any special religion this morning.  My God is the God of Walkers.  If you walk hard enough, you probably don't need any other god."
-   Bruce Chatwin, In Patagonia  

Is there a "God of Walkers" or a patron saint of walkers?  The Roman God "Mercury?"  St. Christopher?  Is there a Chinese god or saint for walkers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment