Friday, April 19, 2013

Walk Like a Mountain


"Today I walked on the lion-coloured hills
 with only cypresses for company, 
 until the sunset caught me, turned the brush
 to copper
 set the clouds 
 to one great roof of flame 
 above the earth,
 so that I walk through fire, beneath fire,
 and all in beauty. 
 Being alone
 I could not be alone, but felt
 (closer than flesh) the presence of those
 who once had burned in such transfigurations.
 My happiness ran through the centuries
 in one continual brightness.  Looking down,
 I saw the earth beneath me like a rose
 petaled with mountains,
 fragrant with deep peace."
 -  Elizabeth Coatsworth, On the Hills, 1924  

Walk Like a Mountain: The Handbook of Buddhist Walking Practice  By Innen Ray Parchelo.  Sumeru Press, 2012.  206 pages.  ISBN: 9781896559175.  







No comments:

Post a Comment