Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Strength Training Program in 2014

I regularly do strength training (weightlifting) at the Tehama Family Fitness Center in Red Bluff.  I find that strength training and walking help me maintain a normal blood sugar level along with two medicines (metaformin and glipizide) that I take for managing my diabetes disease.  Also, I enjoy the feeling of being stronger, and try to achieve some bodybuilding objectives. 

I do strength training for my legs on Friday and Monday.  I do strength training for my back and shoulders/arms on Sunday and Wednesday.  I do strength training for my chest and arms on Tuesday.  Here is my strength training program for 2014.

I am flexible as to sets, repetitions, and the amount of weight lifted.  When I am more energetic, then I try to more sets and with increased weight.  I always try to do all of the exercises specified in the program.  

A few Taijiquan masters advise against weight training.  I don't agree with them. 

Six Keys to Bodybuilding Success
1.  "Set realistic goals― short and long term.
2.  Plan an orderly and thorough routine to train the entire body.
3.  Make a commitment to stick to your routine for four to six weeks to realize the changes and benefits, develop perseverance and create a habit.
4.  Establish enthusiasm for your training, the driving force to perform successfully.
5.  Ease into an appropriate training program with a wholesome, thoughtful nutritional plan: proper foods, amounts and order of consumption.
6.  Be confident from the beginning that the application of these sound principles will produce the desired results."
-  Dave Draper, Brother Iron Sister Steel, p. 33


"You should prepare to follow the program for 90 days.  Why?  Because behavioral research indicates that it takes 90 days to prepare for change, build a new behavior, become confident in the face of high-risk triggers, and move past the likelihood of relapse.  Brain research also suggests that it takes a few months of practicing a new behavior to create permanent change."
-  John C. Norcorss, Ph.D., Changeology, p. 7  



I walk 3.6 miles (5.8km) in the early morning on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  It has been very cold (35-45F) and windy at daybreak.  Therefore, I bundle up with layers of clothing.  Here is how I look before I start my walk.  The bright red silk balaclava is a bit weird looking, but it really works in warming my breathing and face. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment