Saturday, January 25, 2014

Walking Tips from Fellrnr

There is an excellent website by Jonathan Savage (Fellrnr) called "Running Tips for Everyone from Beginners to Racing Marathons and Ultramarathons."  

Although the primary emphasis is upon running, the website has very valuable information for walkers, especially long distance walkers and hikers.  The emphasis on a scientific approach to running or walking is very beneficial. 

Be sure to check out the webpage on "Calories Burned Running and Walking." 
You can input your actual or desired bodyweight and get detailed information on caloric expenditures for various speeds and distances walked or run.

His comments on breathing are valuable. 

His suggestions for Walking Breaks for runners in a race are insightful. 


"Walking in a race has a lot of advantages
  • Running burns more calories per mile than walking, so walking is more efficient. (Generally, for paces up to around 14 min/mile, walking is more efficient. For paces faster than 12 min/mile, running is more efficient. Paces between 14 and 12 min/mile are not so clear cut.)
  • Walking has a lower Heart Rate, which allows the body to burn more fat than carbohydrate. (You have a lot of fat, but carbohydrates are a limited resource)
  • The lower Heart Rate of walking also makes digestion easier. The digestive system needs blood and oxygen; if it is all being used by the muscles, you will have a problem.
  • It is much easier to take off or add clothes when walking, or adjust other bits of equipment.
  • The lower intensity of walking gives a more relaxed Breathing pattern, making it easier to eat and drink.
  • Walking gives the muscles a chance to recover from running.
  • Because walking uses less energy, it can help if overheating is a problem."
This website "Running Tips" is powered by MediaWiki.  I've been looking at using Wiki


Ways of Walking:  Quotes, Sayings, Information, Facts, Lore
Compiled by Mike Garofalo


I've been thinking about adding some jogging/running to my morning walks to improve my aerobic conditioning.  I believe that if I approach this intelligently and gradually, even at the age of 68, I can enjoy myself and avoid injury.  Suggestions?


"The sum of the whole is this: walk and be happy, walk and be healthy. "The best of all ways to lengthen our days" is not, as Mr. Thomas Moore has it, "to steal a few hours from night, my love;" but, with leave be it spoken, to walk steadily and with a purpose. The wandering man knows of certain ancients, far gone in years, who have staved off infirmities and dissolution by earnest walking,--hale fellows close upon eighty and ninety, but brisk as boys." 
-  Charles Dickens   


"I can only meditate when I am walking.  When I stop, I cease to think; my mind works only with my legs." 
-  Jean Jacques Rousseau, Confessions

"We are here on the planet only once, and might as well get a feel for the place."
-  Annie Dillard  





No comments:

Post a Comment