Thursday, October 06, 2016

Walking is the Practice of Heartiness and Hardiness

"Walking is the great adventure, the first meditation,
a practice of heartiness and soul primary to humankind.
Walking is the exact balance between spirit and humility."
- Gary Snyder, The Practice of the Wild


"My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing."
- Aldous Huxley


While running in May, I fell, and I injured my right hip and knee.  I badly injured by left knee from a fall down some stairs in June. The injuries were painful, prevented many activities, and I was slow to recover.  My orthopedist did not recommend any immediate surgery, and I followed his advice on recovery methods.  

Rest, physical therapy, walking, and an elimination or restriction of some activities all helped me recover.  

I now walk 2 miles every day, and will increase to 3 miles in November.  I joined the TFFC gym this week, and will resume light weight lifting and yoga classes with caution.  




No comments:

Post a Comment