Friday, July 06, 2012

Beneath My Feet

"An agricultural adage says the tiny animals that live below the surface of a healthy pasture weigh more than the cows grazing above it.   In a catalogue selling composting equipment I read that two handfuls of healthy soil contain more living organisms than there are people on the earth.  What these beings are and what they can be doing is difficult to even begin to comprehend, but it helps to realize that even thought they are many, they work as one."
-  Carol Williams, Bringing a Garden to Life, 1998

The Five Elements

I am just amazed at the claim that "two handfuls of healthy soil contain more living organisms than there are people on the earth."   Do others think this is a fact? 

I wonder how it is that "they work as one." Is it because they are all living in the same area during the same time period?  I doubt they are a "team" with a unified purpose and goal, like a colony of ants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment