Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Yuletide Greetings

Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and happy holiday season.






Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

May Joy and Peace Spread Around the Globe




For some interesting research on the Santa Claus fables, read Santa Claus: Pretender to the ThroneThis article was found on one of those "the end of the world is coming" Christan blogs where the author writes: "Santa falls under paganism and demonology, and is the poster boy for consumerism, and the madness that manifests itself in Black Friday.  Time to end Santa's attachment to the remembrance of the birth of the Savior.  Fascinating to read here the links of santa to Thor (the Norwegian Apollo), gnomes (demons) and even Satan."  Santa is Satan's minion?  The author prefers worshiping a Lord on a Throne. 

Frankly, for me, I'm quite pleased that most people in America favor the interesting and uplifting examples of generosity, helpfulness, love of children, family togetherness, magic, joy, good food, luxuries, and beauty associated with the Yuletide myths, stories, and games.  I figure that even Jesus would volunteer to help Santa Claus, decorate some trees, feed the hungry, and turn water into eggnog for the celebrations. 




2 comments:

  1. Aloha Mike,
    Here's another good Santa read:

    http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Claus-Last-Wild-Men/dp/0786429585

    (I love Santa!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Santa is still big story for the psycho-sociologists, literary historians, social satirists, and ethnographers.
    Somehow, I'm reminded of a George Carlin line like, "It's all just fucking bullshit. And most of it bad."
    I like my Santa clean and neat, like in a neat sales employee's uniform for work at a shopping center or as Santa Claus in a group of clowns. No dirty Wildman Santa, wearing torn charchol-dust covered clothing. No Santa with a very dirty and soot dusted face. I want a clean looking civilized Santa, who smells of sugar and spice and everything nice, and is smiling, often laughing.
    Doing good and avoiding evil, I just make my wish known and Santa will deliver what ever I may desire. I love the optimism of Santa Magick.
    Yep, maybe it's mostly bullshit.

    ReplyDelete