Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Grayland Beach Camping Cancelled

 I had planned to Yurt camp 3 nights at Grayland Beach State Park near Westport WA this week. 

An intense storm developed this week along the Washington coast. 
High winds and heavy rain were expected. 
Travel on back country roads from Vancouver to Westport is hazardous in robust storms.  
I decided to hunker down at home in Vancouver this week. 
I have already scheduled a Grayland Yurt for camping in April.   

I've paid gasoline prices of $5.50 per gallon in Red Bluff over a decade ago.  It is less than $5.00 now in Washington and there are no shortages of gasoline.  We try to organize and limit our driving trips around town in Vancouver.  A trip from Vancouver to Westport and back, with local beach driving, costs me around $85.00 now.    

The mandates for wearing masks in public were lifted this week in Washington and Oregon.  
Karen and I are fully vaccinated with booster.  We wore masks for three years.  We avoided crowds and events.  We were lucky.  Many more were less fortunate: 16,000 people died from COVID19 in Washington, and thousands more filled Washington's hospitals for months.   

I am disturbed about the recent Russian invasion in Ukraine.  I was in the U.S. Air Force from 1969-1973.  Our U.S. soldiers fought against determined Vietnamese Communist Independence Fighters supported by Russia and China.  Communist ideology took control of Russia and China, and invasions and control of North Korea, Vietnam, and many European areas after World War II are historical facts.  I'm on edge again!  Our federal government seems to be actively supporting the Ukraine, without engaging NATO in a full-scale war.  

My photographs from October of 2021 near Grayland, Washington"











No comments:

Post a Comment