Tuesday, July 10, 2007

News Items: Qigong and Staff

Dear Mike,

As suggested on your Northwestern US Instructors, Schools, Workshops page, I'm letting you know of my Eight Pieces of Brocade (Baduanjin) classes which will be at the Bend Martial Arts Club in Bend, Oregon. Interested persons may contact me at bewellwithmichelle@yahoo.com.

Thanks!
Michelle


Mike,

I like your website! I am also interested in martial arts with the stick and staff. You may have my book, with Don Zier, on Aikijo (Jo: The Japanese Short Staff), which we wrote in the 1980s when we both living in Chico, just down the road from you.

Recently, I published The Stick and Cane in Close Combat. (See the link at http://ejmas.com/pt/ptframe.htm for my article that introduces the book. Scroll down and look under "2007 Articles"). From the promo literature:

"The result of a 7-year intensive study of grappling techniques with the stick and cane, the book presents more than 120 jointlocks, takedowns, chokes, holds, disarms, surprise attacks, rolls, strikes, and exercises with the stick and cane in 750 photographs. These techniques were collected and refined from those described in more than 120 books and videos on the topic as practiced in several traditions, as well as from my 35+ years of experience in the martial arts. It is the largest collection of these techniques yet published."

For what it's worth.

I am looking for named traditions of 3-foot stick or cane arts from China; you allude to some on your website. They seem to be part of larger arts, but are there any with their own identity?

In any event, I enjoyed your website and will continue to follow its links.

Tom Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment