Monday, November 23, 2009

Eight Section Brocade Qigong

Hi Michael;
Thank you for putting the information regarding the eight section brocade on your website. I have been practising the Ba Duan Jin excercises as related on this website; http://www.acupuncture-and-chinese-medicine.com/ba-duan-jin-exercise-set-1.html but feel this may have overdeveloped my biceps without developing my triceps, leading to some problems in the arms. (I'm seeing a massage therapist to check out what's happening and get some stretches to help).

So I decided to try out the eight section brocade version instead. However, a question, if it's not imposing. As regards the 'separating heaven and earth' movement, when the arms are up and down, with the palms facing up and down, do the fingers point inwards, (ie; towards the body) or forward and backward? I feel I may have got this wrong when practising Ba Duan Jin and wish to be able to do this properly.

Thanks and best wishes,
Symon from England


Symon,

There are numerous dumbbell exercises used to strengthen the triceps. Also, in the gym there are numerous tricep exercises using the pulley weights. You need to work the triceps from different angles to develop all three (tri) muscles in the back of the arm. Any decent bodybuilding or strength training book will show you what to do.

When I "separate heaven and earth" I flex both the wrist and hand. The upper palm is parallel with the ceiling and the fingers point towards inwards (towards the head). The lower palm is parallel with the floor and the fingers point inward towards the hips/thighs. Remember, you will see many variations in how the Ba Duan Jin is done. I use this exercise in my yoga classes.

Best wishes,

Mike

Eight Section Brocade, Ba Duan Gin Qigong

No comments:

Post a Comment