Monday, March 05, 2012

Bricks in the Wall

We all need good education that provides us with facts, information, ideas, insight, and wisdom.  We need education that provides us with the skills and methods for learning more and expanding our knowledge and skills base.  We need education grounded in science, reason, and practical insights.  We need education in ethics, right living, respect, and tolerance.  We need to be educated on how to become peaceful, productive, and profound persons.   We need education to help us reach our maximum potential. 

What we don't need is "education" that is indoctrination, learning for slavish service to one particular viewpoint, learning grounded in corrupted views of history, mean spirited, hateful  towards others that don't believe or think our way, that turn us into conforming robots, that make us into another brick in the wall of some antiquated ideology.  "We don't need no thought control!"  

I was sent to Roman Catholic Schools from the 1st to the 12th grade from 1950-1963.  I could tell many unpleasant stories about the "education" that I and others received from the nuns and brothers and priests in these Catholic "schools."  Yes, thanks to their rigorous drilling methods of teaching I learned to read, write, and do mathematics in the elementary grades.  Yes, I learned how to obey, conform, submit, and defer.  Yes, I learned the Catholic version of history, and how all non-believers are destined for hell, that we are all inherently sinful by nature, and how only a human sacrifice (Jesus) could soften the heart of a strict Father God and make the world right again.  Yes, I learned how I was supposed to believe and not question Church authority.  Yes, indeed, I learned about fear and guilt. 

 

However, thanks to reading many good books (i.e., Zen, American Transcendentalists, Taoism, great philosophers, natural sciences, history, etc.) in my local public library during my high school years, and getting a good college education at California State University at Los Angeles, I was able to knock down the ugly Catholic Wall that had been forced upon my mind and spirit in my youth.   I knocked down my own "Berlin Wall" of indoctrination, kicked the bricks of the Dark Ages aside, and was liberated in 1964.  

I learned early that, for me, being a good person, being happy, being productive, being high minded, and being truly "spiritual" had nothing to do with the strange doctrines and ideology of Christianity or Islam.  

So, for me, in some ways, Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" is kind of an anthem for me. 

Another Brick in the Wall
Pink Floyd
1979

"We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey teacher leave them kids alone
All in all it's just another brick in the wall
All in all you're just another brick in the wall
We don't need no education

We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey teacher leave us kids alone
All in all you're just another brick in the wall
All in all you're just another brick in the wall."  



2 comments:

  1. Floyd's music was my crow up sound, and in early 80's, they played open air in front of the Brandenbuerger Tor in Berlin, 120000 people in the West, another 60000 on the other side (East Germany), the wall had not collapsed yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an experience for you and 180,000 other people. Whow! Music can bring us together and contribute in its own way to our liberation. There are many other "Walls" (personal, social, and political) remaining that we must either abandon, climb over, or knock down.

    ReplyDelete