Sunday, May 23, 2021

The Future Does Not Exist?

   "Whitehead's Process and Reality is a very tough book, so as a graduate student thirty years ago, I took a break and walked over to Lake Michigan, trying to understand what "process" was all about.  The weather was gray and the lake, choppy.  "What is the alternative?" I asked myself.  What if the world were not in process?  Would Lake Michigan somehow be sitting there waveless in the future, waiting for waves to break on it?  Suddenly, the world jolted, as if it had been ajar and unexpectedly dropped into place with a snap.

      The future does not exist.  There is no future Lake Michigan waiting for water to fill it or waves to lap at its shores.  The future does not exist, the future is not actual.  I looked at the world around me with wide amazed eyes.  My eyes did not exist in the future.  The sidewalk did not exist in the future.  The foot that I was going to set down on the sidewalk in a moment did not exist yet.  Only the foot in the present existed.  I practically skipped home, watching the sidewalk and my feet (and my watching itself) become.  At Morry's Deli, I looked in the window (becoming) and watched the pastrami becoming, and the people becoming.

      When I returned to my third-floor apartment, I looked down into the yard next door and had a sense of vertigo.  Time is like falling, I thought.  We are always on the verge of falling forward into nothingness; but, in each moment the world becomes anew, and the creative advance continues.

     How could I explain this to my wife?"

 -  C. Robert Mesle, Process-Relational Philosophy, 2008, p.5

  





"I am the dust in the sunlight, I am the ball of the sun . . .
I am the mist of morning, the breath of evening . . . .
I am the spark in the stone, the gleam of gold in the metal . . . .
The rose and the nightingale drunk with its fragrance.
I am the chain of being, the circle of the spheres,
The scale of creation, the rise and the fall.
I am what is and is not . . .
I am the soul in all."
- Rumi


"I think this is what hooks one to gardening:
it is the closest one can come to being present at creation."
-  Phyllis Theroux



No comments:

Post a Comment