Saturday, May 21, 2022

Change of Plans: Heart Problems

Unfortunately, for me, I could not take my planned Yurt Camping Trip to Pacific Beach on May 23-26.  

In late April, I worked too hard in my backyard garden one clear cold damp day, and I had a mild heart attack.  On May 15, my cardiac medical group and EKG tests revealed that my heart was now in AFib  (atrial fibrillation), and my internal pacemaker recorded an incident on April 24th, that put my heart in AFib.

I am scheduled for a cardioversion on June 8, 2022, at the Peace Health Hospital Complex, Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver, WA, Physicians Pavilion, Cardiac Division - Electrical, the procedure will be controlled by Dr. Zahourian, at 10:00 am.  I have Medicare and Anthem/Blue Cross Medical Insurance in Vancouver.  

Maybe this procedure can help me in some way.  My Five Lucky Fingers Are in a Bird's Beak!!  

Five years ago, Dr. Gungor installed a pacemaker to correct my increasing bradycardia problem.  This device has worked wonders to my sense of well being.  I take my blood pressure each day, and my heartbeat is never lower than 60 beats per minute.    

Right now, 2022 05 21 6:36 am,
If I am sitting, then I feel fine. 
I can stand and move slowly and carefully on flat surfaces.  I wear good shoes.  
I use a good long cane for balance and avoiding falls.  
I handle all bathing and personal care and dressing myself on my own.
I try to stand up and move my body every 30 minutes ... limbering, stretching, walking, chores.  
I am taking a blood thinner: Eliquis
I take flu prevention measures and consider myself as high risk right now.  
I enjoy reading, writing, photography, website creation, and many private hobbies.  
I handle most assigned household maintenance chores on schedule.  
I can no longer do heavy lifting or very strenuous activities as when I was 65 years of age.
I enjoy Yoga at home, Feldenkrais, Qigong, slow Tai Chi practice, stretching. 
I no longer teach Yoga, Tai Chi Chuan, or Qigong.    
 

Sometimes, after sitting, when I get up and start walking quickly or up a hill, I will become lightheaded, weak, breathing more rapidly, chest tightening, alarmed/anxious/concerned, unbalanced ... sick.  I suddenly feel totally out of shape, a weakling, and I sit.  In a minute or so my breathing returns to normal, all senses functional, and I get up and move OK.  Knowing now that I am being treated for AFib makes these new unpleasant bodily experiences even more alarming - is this episode the BIG ONE that will cash me out, TIA me, stroke me...   

I can no longer climb to the top of Mt. Lassen, 10,457 feet, as I did in 2006 at age 60.  I did view the northeast side of Mt. Ranier last summer from Sunrise Point ... driving to this viewpoint.  Digressions keep the mind off one way tracks of thought.  

I was eating lunch with a co-worker in 1975, Mrs. Lesnick, and she had a heart attack and died there.
I visited some during the last hours of my father's life.  He was unconscious, quiet, and dying of congestive heart failure.  I spoke with a kindly Roman Catholic Priest who gave my dad the Last Rites.  

In April 2022, I walked nearly every day for 40 minutes.  Sometimes I came back breathing pretty hard.  Mostly, felt fine walking under overcast Vancouver Spring skies.  

The unpredictability of these new unpleasant bodily spells/attacks, and the anxiety they can arouse, makes me favor staying at our home in Vancouver from May 15th - June 30th, 2022.  I will just take it easy in Vancouver until my 
June 8 cardioversion procedure.  I have the support of family here to help me through any difficult times.  

So, I cancelled my trip to Pacific Beach State Park, Washington, 5/23-5/26.  They refunded a decent amount.  Booking a Yurt for $62 a night is practical for a solo camper like myself.  A person needs to be sure of their health when they go Yurt camping alone at a distant place like Pacific Beach.  

However, I am going to let the next four posts about going to Pacific Beach and the Quinault Rainforest run anyway.  They have local travel information, facts about Douglas Fir trees, and info on the Quinault Rainforest.  

As if ... What was Planned ... Local Travel Information ... Places I Plan to Return To Soon 

Karen and I garden at our home.  Winter and Springtime temperatures between 40F to 55F, keep gardeners dressing warm in Vancouver.  

We planted three trees in December.


Birds love juicy wisteria blossoms.





Ready for some chores.


Two dogs want to be in the warm corner
of the cold garage in winter.  Near
the workbench, space heater, and tools.
We were dog-sitting the Golden Retriever under my seat.






No comments:

Post a Comment