Sunday, October 07, 2012

Enlivening the Sinking Mind

I was very busy with gardening and home maintenance activities on Saturday and Sunday.  

A friend, Cathy, loaned us her roto-tiller.  I fully weeded, heavily fertilized, and extensively roto-tilled all of the large sunny garden.  I transplanted many plants from pots into the ground since daytime temperatures have dropped to below 80F.  I did some roof repairs.  I put all our outdoor tools into our sheds since some rain is predicted for next week.  We planted many starts of vegetables for our winter garden and many seeds.  I mowed.  I watered.  Busy, busy, busy - from dawn to dusk!  

I walked 4 miles each day, and taught yoga on Saturday.  Otherwise all exercise was from vigorous gardening. 

Work - Quotations

"Man was not made to rust out in idleness.  A degree of exercise is as necessary for the preservation of health, both of body and mind, as his daily food.  And what exercise is more fitting, or more appropriate of one who is in the decline of life, than that of superintending a well-ordered garden?   What more enlivens the sinking mind?   What is more conducive to a long life?"
-  Joseph Breck


Most of the time my mind is rising rather than sinking, even though I am an older man.  My tendency is towards high energy, abundance, drive, over-working, over-thinking, scattering enthusiasm ... mania. 




2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:02 PM PDT

    Great blog. Inspiring daily lifestyle. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your life's garden prosper. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete