Friday, March 14, 2014

Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu, Chapter 70

Dao De Jing, Laozi
Chapter 70


"My words are very easy to understand and very easy to practice:
but in the world no one can understand, no one can practice them.
Words have an ancestor; Deeds have a master - Reason. 
Since he is not understood, therefore I am not understood.
Those who understand me are few, and thus I am distinguished.
Therefore the holy man wears wool, and hides in his bosom his jewels."
-  Translated by D. T. Suzuki and Paul Carus, 1913, Chapter 70   


"My words are very easy to understand
And very easy to put into practice.
Yet no one under heaven understands them;
No one puts them into practice.
But my words have an ancestry, my deeds have a lord;
And it is precisely because men do not understand this
That they are unable to understand me.
Few then understand me, but it is upon this very fact my value depends.
It is indeed in this sense that “the Sage wears hair-cloth on top,
But carries jade under neath his dress.”"
-  Translated by Arthur Waley, 1934, Chapter 70  


"My words are very easy to understand and very easy to put into practice;
but in all the world there is no one who can understand them and can put them into practice.
My words have a system, my actions have a governor.
Indeed, it is just because they are not understood, that men do not understand me.
Those who understand me are rare, those who pattern themselves after me are highly prized.
Thus the Saint wears hair-cloth, but carries jade in his breast."
-  Translated by Jan Julius Duyvendak, Chapter 70   




吾言甚易知, 甚易行.
天下莫能知, 莫能行.
言有宗.
事有君.
夫唯無知, 是以不我知.
知我者希.
則我者貴.
是以聖人被褐懷玉.
-  Chinese characters, Tao Te Ching, Chapter 70

wu yan shen yi zhi, shen yi xing.
tian xia mo neng zhi, mo neng xing.
yan you zong. 
shi you jun.
fu wei wu zhi, shi yi bu wo zhi.
zhi wo zhe xi. 
ze wo zhe gui.
shi yi sheng ren pi he er huai yu.
-  Pinyin Romanization, Daodejing, Chapter 70



"My words are very easily known.
They are very easily practiced.
No one in the world can fully know them,
No one in the world can fully practice them.
My words come from one Source,
My service is to one Ruler.
The Master indeed knows the Inner Kingdom,
That is why he knows the negation of self.
Few there are who know the self.
Because they know it not, they prize the self.
That is why the self-controlled man wears wool.
But in his bosom are jewels."
-  Translated by Isabella Mears, 1916, Chapter 70  


"La palabras tienen un origen; los hechos, una ley.
Mis palabras son fáciles de comprender y fáciles de seguir,
Y, sin embargo, nadie las comprende y nadie las practica.
Es la sabiduría la que impide al hombre acercarse a mi.
Son pocos los que me siguen, porque estoy más allá de toda alabanza.
Por ello el Sabio se cubre con una tela tosca, pero guarda joyas en su seno.
Conoce su valor, pero no lo ostenta. 
Se ama a sí mismo, pero no se tiene en alta estima.
Rechaza lo último y se ciñe a lo primero."
-  Translated from Chinese into English by Ch'u Ta-Kao, Translated from English into Spanish by Caridad Diaz Faes, Capitulo 70


"Words have an ancestor; deeds have a governor.
My words are very easy to know, and very easy to practise,
Yet all men in the world do not know them nor practise them.
It is because they have knowledge that they do not know me.
When those who know me are few, eventually I am beyond all praise.
Therefore the Sage wears clothes of coarse cloth but carries jewels in his bosom;
He knows himself but does not display himself;
He loves himself but does not hold himself in high esteem.
Thus he rejects the latter and takes the former.
-  Translated by Ch'u Ta-Kao, 1904, Chapter 70 





Chapter and Thematic Index (Concordance) to the Tao Te Ching



Taoism: A Selected Reading List




 

No comments:

Post a Comment